Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ridiculous?

I was up for a few hours sitting in the dark in my son's room waiting for him to go to sleep.  He won't stay in bed unless I sit there.  He'll otherwise wake up and turn on the light and mutter to himself and pace.

While I was there I was pondering his situation.  He's been regressing these past few days with no dosage change of the Fluvoxamine (25mg).  He back to being basically non-communicative and perseverating.  I was thinking about upping the dose when it occurred to me that the proper course of action might actually be to reduce the dose.  There is clearly a cumulative effect of the drug as it reaches a steady state in his bloodstream.  We have seen this with other SSRIs and the anti-psychotics.  At the start, there is some basic improvement and then after a couple of weeks - back to crazy.

That got me thinking...maybe he's just really sensitive to these SSRIs and his paradoxical reaction is because of this sensitivity. Maybe the right course of action is to reduce the dosage lower and lower and test the reaction and behavior at these lower bloodstream equilibrium levels.  I think I'm going to try 12.5mg tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment