Saturday, September 17, 2011

On The Downside

We are now working our way down to near trace amounts of Prozac in my son's bloodstream.  I have noticed something that is emerging as a pattern of sorts.  When we ramped down the Seroquel and, now, that we are ramping down the Prozac, as we approach very low levels - very very low levels,, my son seems a little brighter.  Still obsessing, but brighter.  He can converse, sometimes, even about new and different topics.  He behaves more predictably.  He carries himself a little bit better.  He can focus a little more.  He's not back to the old way.  But the fog has lifted a wee tiny bit.

The odd thing is that this happens "on the way down", as the drug is eliminated, but not "on the way up" as the drug is introduced.  I also recall seeing it with Seroquel and now Prozac but not the others. I wonder if this means that we don't (or didn't) give these drugs enough time as we ramped up or if we started too high a dosage or if there is some other pharmacological mechanism at play.

I do recall, though, that in my frustration at my son's sleepless nights, at one point, I gave him 25mg of Seroquel (half the dose he started on - when he was on it).  All that did for him was make him sleepy but seemingly had no other effect.  Maybe that was too high?

No comments:

Post a Comment